As you prepare for discharge, keep the following in mind:
- Since the patient and their family have been involved in discharge planning from the beginning of the hospitalization, you should be well prepared. However, if there is any part of the patient's plan for continuing therapy, medical care or follow up treatment that you do not understand, please do not hesitate to ask questions.
- Your physician has requested to review medications taken at home. Please bring your loved ones prescription medications to the hospital and give them to the nurse. The physician will review the medications and they will be returned to you.
- Your physicain will prepare and sign the patient's discharge papers. If you leave before the physician signs the discharge, you must sign a statement by which you assume complete responsibility for leaving without medical approval. This my cause insurance payment problems to follow, therefore please speak with the Nurse Manager or Social Worker prior to leaving.
- On the day of discharge, you will be given a follow up appointment with the patient's doctor or other community services.
- A Patient Satisfaction Questionnaire will need to be completed by the patient and their family. This helps us to improve our program for patients in the future. We appreaciate your feedback and the opportunity to improve our patient care.
- Please sign the Release of Information Form so that we can share the patient's progress with the health care agencies that are part of their continuum of care. Each agency will have a designated release approval.
For additional information, contact: NAMI Alabama at www.namialabama.org or 1-800-626-4199